Natasha Artemeva wrote:

> I apologize for cross posting.
>
> I'm conducting an informal survey of Engineering and/or Technical
> Communication courses (however, information about freshman composition
> courses will also be appreciated). Please respond to the following
> questions:
>
> 1. In what year of the university studies is your course offered?

300 level, which means that students can take it in any year from 2nd to
4th

> 2. Is it a term- or a year-long course?

1 term

> 3. How many contact hours a week do you have? What do they consist of
> (lectures, tutorials, workshops, etc.)?

3 hours, technically lecture but activities vary

> 4. How many students are usually enrolled in your course? Do they all
> come from the same discipline?

about 200/year.  Engineers outnumber all others but every discipline is
represented

> 5. How many sections are offered simultaneously?

15 - 20 per year

> 6. What is the instructor/student ratio?

35:1

> 7. Are there TAs in the course? If so, what are their duties? What is
> the TA/student ratio?

no

> 8. How many written assignments does an instructor (TA) mark per term?

generally about 6 - 7

> 9. Are the students required to produce drafts of their written
> assignments? If so, who provides feedback on drafts (instructor, TA,
> peers, etc.)?

Not usually although some instructors employ this system

> 10. Does the course include an Internet component? If so, what does this
> component consist of (interactive web site, on-line tutorial, electronic
> discussion group, etc.)?

no - though it probably should

--
Dr. Doug Brent
Associate Dean, Academic Programs and Faculty Affairs