On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Steve Wright wrote:

>           Thanks to all who informed me about the bugs in the new Medieval
> Drama in Translation Website.  I think I have solved the problems.  Those of
> you who were using Netscape as your principal browser and who were turning
> up only blank pages or error messages should now be able to access the
> entire site.
[...]

I have added Steve's very valuable site to our REED theatre resources
page (it's in the first section).

>           Two simple lessons for other website designers on the list:  (1)
> Every <td> requires a </td>, and (2) check all your work through every
> available browser.  Microsoft Explorer (which I was using) is apparently
> much more forgiving and Netscape is much more finicky about errors in HTML
> code.
[...]

Yes, this is part of a larger problem that I've found in creating and
maintaining the REED web pages.. Not only are some browsers overly
forgiving, some authoring software, ostensibly designed to make it
easier to write HTML code, doesn't require your code to conform to
current HTML release standards. So when you mount the site, people
using browsers that only recognise HTML standard coding will see
something a lot odder than you intended! I've found that it helps a
lot to insert the coding 'by hand' in a plain text file rather than
use authoring software, and also, as Steve says, to use Netscape to
check that the code does what I want it to.

A.

Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada
Phone (416) 585-4504/ FAX (416) 585-4594/ [log in to unmask]
List-owner of REED-L <http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/reed-l.html>
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/reed.html => REED's home page
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/stage.html => our theatre resource page
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~young => my home page