Nancy IT IS A HOAX --just found it in the archive on the  website that
checks this stuff---

http://urbanlegends.about.com/culture/urbanlegends/library/weekly/aa022300a.htm?
rnk=r&terms=bacteria+in+bananas

You can check these things out before forwarding them at
http://urbanlegends.about.com/

>I hope this is not one of those scam articles, it sounds like the truth.  If
>it isn't forgive me please.  Nancy B

You ARE forgiven--- but next time *everyone* please check FIRST !   :-)

>> Several shipments of bananas from Costa Rica have been infected
>>   with necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as flesh eating bacteria.
>>   Recently this disease has decimated the monkey population in Costa Rica.
>>   We are now just learning that the disease has been able to graft itself
>>   the skin of fruits in the region, most notably the Banana which is Costa
>>   Rica's largest export.  Until this finding scientist were not sure how
>>   the
>>   infection was being transmitted.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

also, on PDWebring at  http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "