NEW "OPTO-CHIP" PROMISES BIG BOOST IN SPEED OF WEB SURFING

Researchers at the universities of Southern California and Washington have developed a low-voltage modulator called an "opto-chip" that can convert electrical signal into optical transmissions at a rate of 100 gigabytes of information per second, potentially yielding enormous increases in the speed of Web surfing.

One of the scientists, chemist Larry Dalton, says: "These electro-optic modulators will permit real-time communication.

"You won't have to wait for your computer to download even the largest files.

"We'll be able to take telephone signals, computer data, TV signals -- any type of signal you can think of -- put it on fiber optic, route it around the world with almost no optical signal loss, and accomplish this with infinite bandwidth.

"It has the potential of revolutionizing the way we all function."

The device can also be used in radar and satellite communicatitons.

(Reuters/San Jose Mercury News 6 Apr 2000)
<http://www.sjmercury.com/svtech/news/breaking/merc/docs/073318.htm>
<http://www.newscan.com/>

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0