Hi All,
Yesterday I debunked the flesh eating banana hoax that Nancy B.  sent to this
List.

 In the last 24 hours I've received several private e-mails citing
"official sounding" sources to support this "myth".   I've also been
chastized for being rough on Nancy...  (I don't think I was, but I'll
certainly apologize for being a bit abrupt and not offering "reasons"
why I perceived this as a hoax).

Here is my initial response...

On  1 Apr 00 at 10:11, Nancy Burnham wrote:

> I hope this is not one of those scam articles, it sounds like the truth.  If
> it isn't forgive me please.  Nancy B
>
> > Several shipments of bananas from Costa Rica have been infected
> >   with necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as flesh eating bacteria.
> >   Recently this disease has decimated the monkey population in Costa Rica.
> >   We are now just learning that the disease has been able to graft itself

Hey Nancy... what day is it????  Uh-huh ... April Fool's Day... I think you've
been had....................... murray

And here is my considered second response...

Hi Nancy and all,
You are certainly forgiven Nancy but this is "one of those scam
articles".  The Flesh Eating Bananas Hoax has been around for some time.

Folks,  the Warning is NOT real! This is a hoax!

Go to this site...
http://www.stiller.com/hoaxes.htm

Scroll down to:
The (Costa Rica) Flesh Eating Banana Bacteria Hoax (Updated February 6, 2000)
http://www.stiller.com/banana.htm

and click on CDC to go to this site...
http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r2k0128.htm

there's more...  go to...
Urban Myths, Legends, Folklore and Fairytales
http://www.urbanmyths.com/

Scroll down to:
Bananas That Bite Back
The rumor: shipments of bananas from Costa Rica have been infected with
necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as flesh eating bacteria.

click on "Get The Facts"  to go to...
http://www.urbanmyths.com/email_bananas.html

Still not convinced??  Go to ....
Hoax information in Alphabetical Order
http://www.datafellows.com/hoaxes/hoax%5Findex.htm

Scroll down to:
Costa Rica Bananas Infection hoax (Infected Bananas hoax)
http://www.datafellows.com/hoaxes/necroban.htm

Still more...
CIAC Internet Hoaxes
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html
Read the WHOLE thing!

Scroll down to "flesh eating bananas"...
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

Read on...
False Internet report about necrotizing fasciitis associated with bananas
http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r2k0128.htm

Finally, please go to this site...
Computer Virus Myths
http://www.kumite.com/myths/
http://www.kumite.com/myths/myths/

More Resources...
The HoaxKill Service - Let's Get Rid of Hoaxes Now!
http://www.hoaxkill.com/index2.shtml
http://www.hoaxkill.com/links.html

All the best and .... don't take any wooden nickles... murray