On  4 Apr 00 at 23:58, Daniel Wachula wrote:

> My father was diagnosed about a week ago.  He is taking a drug called
> Mirapex.  I guess that this drug is about 2 years old.  He lives in
> Illinois and he needs to be active all the time - he works out every
> other day.  My question is - does anybody have any information about
> this drug? and what about the drug called levodpa?  I have heard that
> l-dopa wears off after a few years which is why he is taking Mirapex?
> Any comments will be great.

Hi Daniel,
I'll let the Dr.s on the list comment....
I'll give you a couple of web sites where you can access the drug
packet insert type of information on-line.  (rx monographs)

Mayo Clinic Medicine Centre (Search by Name)
http://www.mayohealth.org/usp/di/uspA-AM.htm

type Mirapex in the search box...

PRAMIPEXOLE (Systemic)
Some commonly used brand names are:
In the U.S.- Mirapex
Category - Antidyskinetic (dopamine agonist)
http://www.mayohealth.org/usp/html/203739.htm

RxList - The Internet Drug Index
http://rxlist.com/

type  levodopa  in the Search box...

hhhhhhhmmmmmmm..... inconsequential....

http://www.rxlist.com/interact.htm

type  parkinson's  in the keyword search box...

voila!  7 hits...  carbidopa / levodopa is one...

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/sinemet.htm
(a very interesting read... )

You may also wish to read Brian Collins layman text on carbidopa/levodopa...
http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/brian/htm
(excellent reading as well)

> Thanks for the newsletters on Web sites for PD.  My Dad does not have a
> computer so I need to gather as much information on this as I can.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan in Wisconsin

Hey Dan, I'm glad somebody likes 'em!

welcome to the *club*.     ..................     murray