Hello,

I thought I'd share the following  announcement that I found on the MGH
Forum.  I
hope that you will all try to get involved in advocacy in some way, even
if you
don't attend the forum in June.  It is our lives that is at stake, and I
feel that
empowering oneself to fight for our future is a very rewarding and
fulfilling
experience.  I will also share a piece that I wrote for our  regional
support group
organization's quarterly newletter (PPSG, Peninsula Parkinson's Support
Groups).

The Parkinson's advocacy movement has made enormous strides in recent
years. This
                         success is the result of understanding how
public policy
decisions are made, promoting
                         the promise of research, and mobilizing a
national network
of advocates.
                         The Parkinson's Action Network's annual Public
Policy Forum
provides advocates the
                         knowledge and tools to effectively focus
national attention
on Parkinson's disease. The
                         Forum is the only event in the country that
trains and
empowers advocates on issues
                         surrounding Parkinson's disease. For the past
six years,
Parkinson's advocates from
                         across the country have gathered in Washington,
DC to hear
the latest developments in
                         Parkinson's research and advance their
knowledge of public
policy.
                         This year's Forum will offer a wide array of
plenary and
workshop sessions to provide
                         current information on the legislative agenda
and
priorities of the Parkinson's community.

                         FORUM GOALS:

                         TRAIN Parkinson's advocates to fight for
increased federal
funding for Parkinson's
                         research and other important public policy
changes

                         DEVELOP an organized grassroots advocacy
network that can
mobilize on behalf of the
                         Parkinson's legislative agenda

                         RAISE the visibility and put a human face on
Parkinson's
disease for lawmakers and the
                         public

                         HELP keep pressure on Congress to make public
funding for
Parkinson's research a top
                         Congressional priority for fiscal year 2001 and
beyond

                         FORUM HIGHLIGHTS:

                         CAPITOL HILL briefing by leading scientists on
the promise
of Parkinson's research

                         PLENARY session on "Legislative Priorities and
Goals for
Funding Parkinson's Research"

                         PLENARY sessions on the exciting Parkinson's
research
program at the Department of
                         Defense

                         WORKSHOPS on strategies for effective lobbying,
building a
grassroots movement,
                         Congress and the legislative process

                         FISHMAN AWARDS DINNER honoring outstanding
advocates

                         LUNCHEON with syndicated columnist Jack
Anderson

                         ANNUAL Parkinson's Lobby Day on Capitol Hill

                         To receive a Forum registration packet, please
call the
Parkinson's Action Network at
                         800-850-4726 and ask for Kathy.

--------------------------
 WHY BECOME AN ADVOCATE?

I went to Washington Last June to hear the top scientists present their
current
work, the latest in exciting research for Parkinson's Disease, and to
learn about
policy issues, the process and skills of lobbying, the process of
passing
legislation, and how funds are appropriated.  I was nothing short of
"electrified;"
I've been
an enthusiastic advocate ever since, spending lots of time:
brainstorming with other
advocates, disseminating information and news to my region here in the
Bay
Area, and other Western and California locals, writing letters to the
editor on
advocacy and PD awareness, writing, calling, e-mailing, faxing, and
visiting Senate
and House Congressional Representatives locally, at their offices and
town hall
meetings, and in Washington, as well as getting others to do some of the
same.
There is a lot to do, but I find it rewarding, exciting, yes,
frustrating, but
intensely interesting.  Why?

Because it has been declared by the top researchers from across academia
that
Parkinson's Disease is the closest to being cured of all the
neurological diseases.
Because I, and advocates like me, want to speed up a cure for
Parkinson's. Because
I'm the third generation in my family to get PD, and because I don't
want my
son, or anyone else's children to get PD.  Because there is still very
little
Parkinson's public awareness and knowledge about PD, while many
misconceptions
about this devastating disease still exist.  For example,  Parkinson's
occurs
entirely in people over 60.  Actually, people get PD as young as 8, and
as many as
40% are under 60, and approximately 30% are under 50.

If you have a reason to participate, visit the PAN web site to find out
how to get
involved, or call me if you wish.  You can do it. We can, we do, and we
will
advance a cure for PD.

Please visit the PAN web site: http://www.parkinsonsaction.org to get
first hand
information on what PAN is about,  materials that support advocacy
locally, the
annual Public Policy Forum held in Washington every year, and much, much
more.

        The following passages are from PAN's web site:

                                      The Parkinson's Action Network's
                                      Seventh Annual Public Policy
                                      Forum

                                      Mark your calendar now for
                                      June 25-27, 2000!

                                      The Parkinson's Action Network's
Annual
                                      Public Policy Forum provides
advocates the
                                      knowledge and tools to effectively
focus
                                      national attention on Parkinson's
disease.

                                      The Forum is the only event in the
country
that
                                      trains and empowers advocates on
issues
                                      surrounding Parkinson's disease.
For the past
                                      six years, Parkinson's advocates
from across
                                      the country have gathered in
Washington,
                                      D.C. to hear the latest
developments in
                                      Parkinson's research and advance
their
                                      knowledge of public policy.

  If you are interested in attending Forum 2000, please call the Network
at
    800-850-4726 and we will send you the Forum registration information
as soon as
it is
    available

    Registration packets and more information about the Parkinson's
Action Network
Seventh
    Annual Public Policy Forum will be available soon. We want you to be
there with
us! There
    are many opportunities for Parkinson's advocates to learn, be
inspired, visit
with their
    representatives in Congress to let them know what we need to secure
a better
future for
    those affected with Parkinson's disease. Help us move the issue of
Parkinson's
disease from
    your communities into the halls of Congress. See you in June!.

--
Charlotte A. Mancuso
For advocacy, medical, and other PD-related material, go to: