 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses       48   deg. F   :-)
Hi folks,

Today I had a BUSY day in Augusta at the state capitol. You
might notice I have a new official identity as a legislative liaison,
which is a new and exciting development for me as an advocate.

Here is the Proclamation of Parkinson's Awareness Month from
Maine Governor Angus King (who proposes that a laptop computer
should be made available to every  7th grade student in Maine).  I  also
met
with the Senate and House leadership, and was in both chambers
at one point or another, as well as in a signing ceremony in the
governor's office.

Ivan Suzman 50/39/36
APDA Maine Chapter
Legislative Liaison
            WHEREAS, Parkinson's Disease, or Paralysis Agitans, is an
incurable brain
disorder that usually affects adults over 40 years of age; however, it
can
occur in any of three forms, Later Life Onset, Young Onset (affecting
those
under 40) and Juvenile Onset; and

        WHEREAS, the cause of Parkinson's Disease, which can ultimately be
fatal, is unknown, and anti-Parkinsonian medications can only mask some
of
the symptoms for a period of time; and

        WHEREAS, according to the American Parkinson's Disease Association
there are approximately 1.5 million people in the United States diagnosed
with Parkinson's Disease, of which 7,000 or more are in the State of
Maine;
and

        WHEREAS, 60,000 new patients are diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease
annually in the United States, one every 9 minutes; and

        WHEREAS, the most usual symptoms of Parkinson's Disease (muscle
stiffness, tremor, painful and slowed movement, loss of the voice and
facial
expression, difficulties with balance and walking, intestinal
difficulties,
and emotional distress) can be mistaken as a normal part of the aging
process,

        NOW, THEREFORE, I, ANGUS S. KING, JR., Governor of the State of
Maine, do hereby proclaim April, 2000 as

PARKINSON'S DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH

throughout the State of Maine, and urge all citizens to extend their
support
to those struggling with Parkinson's Disease, and their loved ones trying
help fight the battle.

In testimony whereof, I have caused
the Great Seal of the State to be
hereunto affixed GIVEN under my