Date:    Sat, 8 Apr 2000 07:20:03 -0400
From:    Chris van der Linden <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: excessive saliva/drooling

Regarding excessive saliva frequently seen in patients with Parkinson's
disease, there is now a simple treatment for this problem.  Infiltration
using a small needle with botulinum toxin (Botox) into the parotid gland on
both sides almost eliminates the excessive drooling.  So far I have treated
three patients with this problem and two did not have  drooling anymore and
one had great improvement.

It is reversible and injections need to be carried out around three to four
times a year.  It is not painful and no side effects.
It saves a lot of money on the excessive laundry of shirts and ties.

Greetings,

Dr. Chris van der Linden
Movement Disorder Center
St. Lucas Hospital Ghent