Hi all,

        On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, the digest contained:

> Date:    Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:32:49 -0400
> From:    Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Fled the scene

        With regards to:

> It  was unfortunate that she dropped in on PIEN at a time when she was
> personally at least as stressed as the members whose exchanges upset her!
> Sorry this kind of thing happens ...

        Yes.   This  kind  of  thing  happens *all* of the time on the
     'Net.  As I've said before, it's the "nature of the  beast."   In
     e-mail or 'Net-news or any other non-personal communication mech-
     anism, you can't hear the  writer's  vocal  inflections  and  you
     can't see the writer's body language.  So, it is *very* often the
     case that people misinterpret messages on the 'Net  and  this  is
     typically how flame-wars start.

>                               ... but I don't know how to avoid it ...

        Unless  you are using an audio-capable 'Net-cam, there is *no*
     way to avoid it.  You learn to live with it or you stop interact-
     ing and maybe resort to lurking.  As a list-admin myself, I still
     find  it incredibly humorous to see people write to the  list  in
     an  angry tone saying I'm going to unsubscribe and then never see
     the unsubscribe request come  through  the  administrative  mail.
     The person just sits there, lurks on the list, and watches to see
     if they or their actions are discussed in any further detail.

>                                                                 ... as we
> are an open forum with no censor ...

        And, this is as it should be.  I really detest moderated lists
     and prefer the open exchange of all related  (and  sometimes  not
     related ;-) ) information on and off the list-topic.

>                               ... and  a place where sometimes we "let it
> all hang out".

        And,  again,  this  is how it should be.  A place where we can
     air all of our PWP trials and tribulations out in an  open  forum
     and  get  related input from others who are in "the same boat" as
     ourselves.

        IMHO,  FWIW,  another  $0.02 from me today and, BTW, take care
     ... ;-)

Bill--
  ...who wants to know if that screwdriver really belongs to Phillip?
                                                             |//// (42?)
.___. William A. ....._..._ .......7177 Heritage Drive+--    |o_o|  /  --+
..... http://w3.one.net/~wap/ .... [log in to unmask] .......+|_|  \--|--/  |_| +
                                                             |   |
P.S.: Common 'Net-isms:
      IMHO  == In My Humble Opinion