Hi all,

        On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, the digest contained:

> Date:    Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:56:39 -0400
> From:    Frans van Duinen <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: WWWeb Resources : or my adventures in AltaVista land

> Also, how do we protect these jewels and their continuity...
>
> It would seem to me that this internet thing can be very useful but is going
> to ttake some work to use it well.  Ideas anyone?

[GEEK-MODE]

        There are two ways to get a Web site to appear "a little high-
     er" in a search engine's rankings.  The first  is  to  make  sure
     that  your TITLE tag has keywords appropriate to the site subject
     matter.  The second  is to include META tags that  contain  rele-
     vant terms as well.  Most of the search engine's Web spiders look
     at these two things first to aid in the engine's site-ranking.

        On  another track -- although I will admit that the difference
     is very hard to see these days -- is to understand the difference
     between a search engine and an index.

        A  search  engine sends a spider out on the Web to explore and
     return information at random by following links from one page  to
     another.   An  index  has humans visit particular sites -- or ac-
     cepts entries from Web authors -- and lists them in a heirarchial
     fashion.   AltaVista,  InfoSeek, Excite, Google, and the like are
     search engines that may also provide an  index.   Yahoo,  Galaxy,
     and the like are indexes that provide a search capability.

        So, the "solution" is to have Web-site authors use appropriate
     TITLE terms and META tags as well as register  their  sites  with
     one or more indexes.

[/GEEK-MODE]

        Take care ...

Bill--
  ...who thinks that Hindsight is an exact science.
.___. William A. ....._..._ .......7177 Heritage Drive+- \ --- ) / ------+
..... http://w3.one.net/~wap/ .... [log in to unmask] .......+------- `\, \ \ --+
                                                                ||\ \`|,
                                                               _|| `=`-'