Hog supplement helps humans

Friday April 14, 2000 - Researchers are studying whether a combination of
36 vitamins, minerals and antioxidants can affect a wide range of disorders.

When Tony Stephan's wife killed herself in 1994 after many years of
suffering manic depression, and two of his children were diagnosed with the
same devastating illness, he turned to his friend David Hardy, who ran an
animal-feed business.

What Mr. Hardy knew about keeping animals sane led to a non-drug
nutritional supplement for psychiatric illness that is now the subject of
scientific scrutiny by researchers.

"You take care of all the deficiencies to maximize the performance of
animals," said Mr. Hardy, who is in Ottawa this week with Mr. Stephan.

"I have seen people who appear startlingly well," said Dr. Steve Simpson,
one of the researchers at the University of Calgary and a psychiatrist.

"I'm quite prepared to believe that it's possible some of them benefited
from this supplement."

The Alberta Science and Research Authority has just awarded a $554,000
grant for a study of manic depression treated with the supplement.
Researchers will study 120 patients over the next two years.

A $70,000 double-blind study at the University of Calgary is under way to
study its effectiveness on chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia in 96
patients.

And about 650 people have tried the product in non-scientific trials
through Mr. Hardy and Mr. Stephan's non-profit company, Synergy Group of
Canada.

The two men claim the supplement, which contains 36 different vitamins,
minerals and antioxidants, has helped adults and children suffering from a
wide range of central nervous system disorders, including manic depression,
schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity
disorder (ADHD), fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.

Mr. Hardy says nervous system disorders are a result of nutrient deficiency
or nutrient imbalance.

People who get mentally ill likely have problems metabolizing food, he
said. Furthermore, soil around the world is depleted of natural minerals
because of years of cultivation.

Modern farming, with fertilizers and lots of water, contributes to nutrient
deficiency in foods, added Mr. Hardy.

Previous studies have shown low levels of zinc in people with mood and
behaviour disorders. This is the first research to look at multiple
elements and their balance in the body.

Mr. Stephan's wife Debbie struggled with manic depression for years before
committing suicide in 1994. Her father had also killed himself.

In 1995, his 21-year-old daughter Autumn was admitted to hospital with
hallucinations and delusions. His 15-year-old son Joseph had been diagnosed
with manic depression a year earlier, and was so violent that Mr. Stephan
feared for the safety of the other children.

"I knew if I didn't do something, I would soon have another suicide in my
family," recalled Mr. Stephan.

Mr. Hardy knew that aggressive behaviour in hogs could be treated with
mineral supplements.

The two men developed a supplement, which they gave to the Stephan children
in 1996. After 60 days, they were symptom-free. Within a few weeks, they
were off their psychiatric drugs.

Mr. Hardy and Mr. Stephan approached physicians in private practice, but
were turned away. They went to Bryan Kolb, a University of Lethbridge
expert in neuropsychology. Mr. Kolb helped with a trial of 13 children and
adults with attention deficit disorder. The success of that trial has led
to further research.

Two nutraceutical companies in the United States have invested $400,000
U.S. in the product.

Rick Carriere, 46, of Ottawa, is among 25 people in Ottawa testing the
supplement. The property manager was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in
1998, after falling into a suicidal depression.

Although anti-depressants helped him cope, he didn't like the idea of
taking drugs. He began the supplement program last summer and takes 40
capsules a day. "I've never felt as good as this," he said. "It's like manna."

Joy Statham, a 45-year-old air quality consultant, suffered anxiety attacks
for 20 years. "I no longer feel like I'm hanging on to life by my
fingernails."

Ottawa family doctor Libuse Gilka will supervise a study of the supplement
in children with autism.

"Vitamins are like sparks which are needed for the biochemical processes in
the body," she said.

About five per cent of people do not seem to benefit from the supplement,
said Mr. Stephan. The supplement is safe, Dr. Simpson added, but women who
are pregnant or trying to get pregnant should not use it.

Synergy supplements are expected to be on the market in a couple of years.
More information is available at www.truehope.com.

Mr. Stephan and Mr. Hardy will hold a public lecture today at St. Paul
University at 9:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. They will also speak on
Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free.

They will have a booth at the Health Show at the Ottawa Congress Centre
this weekend.

by Maria Cook
The Ottawa Citizen
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/city/000413/3924753.html

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0