At 11:14 AM 2000/04/14 -0400, Frans van Duinen <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote: Providing more links is in itself not sufficient.  The link often
>results in yet another hit in some of the less-smart search engines.
>Ditto YAPP (Yet Another Page on Parkinson)...

that's partly why 'google' has been so successful -
[aside from fast and simple loading of their search page and no ads]
their site evaluation takes in the popularity factor, apparently;
if a site gets a lot of traffic, it gets a higher ranking

imho 'google' just keeps improving
e.g. you can do the same search at all the other 'biggies'
directly from google's results page without re-typing a thing!
http://www.google.com

i did a survey of search engines that way the other day
and was impressed with 'google' [no surprise]
and with 'open directory' [big surprise - never hoid of it]

but what impressed me EVEN MORE was that Simon Coles' site -
"James - a site about Parkinson's disease" at:

http://www.james.parkinsons.org.uk/

turned up in the 'short list' [top 10 or 20 matches]
of EVERY search engine but one, whose name escapes me now...

which is just about ideal placement for the pien's exposure to newbies,
since his site is the wwweb home of our list archives,
don't you think?

yours in wwwebbification

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0