Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Judy George <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Diagnosis ...
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:34:11 -0400

> Good evening all and greetings from Australia.  About three months ago i
> visited a neurologist to seek a diagnosis.  i have experienced worsening
> tremors in the hands for about 15 years.  originally i was told that it
> was "congenital tremors" .. and, as my father had had the same symptoms
> ... i didn't worry about it.
>
> on this visit, the neurologist thought that it 'could' be parkinson's
> disease ... but she was unsure ... and asked me to return in about three
> months.  she wanted to see what the symptoms were like after resting.
>
> i am concerned about all of this and would like to know, if anyone can
> advise me, about options for diagnosis ... and, also, if anything can be
> done to arrest the development of the disease?
>
> thanking you all in advance
> judy

Although it is impossible to tell from just reading your post, it sounds
as if you do not have Parkinson's disease.  Familiar tremor is more
likely.

The different kinds of tremor, however, are very different.
Parkinsonian tremor is a slow-frequency (about 5-6 cycles per second)
alternating tremor that is worse at rest and decreases with voluntary
movement.  Familial tremor is usually faster (10-12 cycles per second)
and increases with intention.  Familial tremor is usually not associated
with changes in muscle tone, slowness of activity, etc., these being
some of the other symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

You need to consult a neurologist who has experience in movement
disorders to be sure.  The treatments are very different (of the two
conditions).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"