On 12 Apr 2000, at 1:06, Eleanor Noone wrote:

> I have a friend who was diagnosed with PD about three years ago.  He is 55
> and has retired from the family business.  He has tremor in his right hand
> and has a little difficulty walking.  Right now he has no trouble driving or
> doing his own shopping.  He lives by himself and really doesn't need a
> caregiver at this point.  He doesn't have a computer and I've been trying to
> persuade him to get one and learn to use it now.  I've spoken with his
> brother and one of his sisters about this and they agree that it would be a
> good for him to have one.  We feel that eventually he might need it for
> communication and shopping, etc.  He says he enjoys doing his own shopping
> and right now he can, but we all know how PD can be.  So,what I am getting to
> is this--would anyone (everyone?) e-mail me and tell me how you use your
> computer and how important it is to you?  I'd like to show him something
> besides just my opinion.  Thanks for your help.  Eleanor

Hi Eleanor and all,
Ah... My 'puter....

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways...

I read this beloved PARKINSN List
I post
I send e-mails to friends, co-workers and family
I look up "stuff" on the WWWeb
I keep my "organizer" on my computer
I send faxes
I perform "diagnostics" at work
I write my reports (much more intelligible than my handwriting)
I browse the web sites of other PWP's
I have made many friends over the virtual airwaves
I support those friends and get warm fuzzies back

I've had a computer since the late '70s beginning with Altair, Heathkit,
Tandy, TI, Commodore, IBM and many clones....

I've used computers at work since 1981 (every day pretty much)
(There are 3 microprocessors in each piece of equipment we
install these days) The computer age is all around us.

I've browsed the web with a 386 using Mosaic and Opera since 1994
I've only switched to a 486 just last week... the latest and greatest are
nice but a 486 is still a pretty good computer for e-mail and the Internet.
It's really all you need and... More important, they give 486's away.....

Is a computer important to me?  You bet...
I wouldn't be without a computer ..  murray