Morning all.  I feel nervous of ... posting a query ... (very ignorant about
it all) ... but ... would like to ask:

My mother has uncontrollable tremors that are getting worse.  My grandfather
had similar tremors but was never diagnosed as having PD, in fact, for all
we know, it was never diagnosed as anything.  He died at 87 ... with bad
enough tremors that he couldn't write and had difficulty walking ... but
other than that ... quite ... healthy (if that's the word?).  Anyway ... mum
has now got these tremors and they are getting worse and she's been to the
doctor and then the neurologist ... who said ... "it isn't hereditary" and
"there isn't any real way to diagnose it at this stage" but "you could have
it and a i can't say that you haven't got it and we'll just have to wait and
see what happens".  I'm paraphrasing here and from mum's relating of the
conversation but .. that's about it.

Mum feels anxious and upset about it and believes, i think, that she
definitely had PD ... that it is just a matter of time before it is
diagnosed.  This is just her "feeling" but it is still a very difficult time
for her.

Anyway ... i got onto the net ... found your list ... and i was wondering if
someone could help me understand a few things:

(i) i found some sites on the net where they were advertising or talking
about diagnosis services (imaging, dna) .... are these useful ... why not
recommended by the doctor?

(ii) i also read on the net that PD was not normally thought to be
hereditary ... which made me wonder ... "then how can they use dna
diagnosis?  what is that about?"

(iii) also, if PD isn't hereditary ... then perhaps the neuromuscular
disorder that mum and grandpa have/had is not PD but something else?  what
are the other neuromuscular disorders which cause this sought of symptom?

This seems like too many questions.  Sorry.  I feel like i suddenly have a
thousand questions?

I hope it is OK to post so many at one time.

thanks
sue