        To me the solution is so simple. Elian's father only has to ask for
political asylum and the total situation is solved. He has to ask of his own
free will, it cannot be offered to him.  One drawback is he still has
relatives in Cuba, but I doubt if Castro would do anything drastic with the
world watching. He could however make their lives pretty miserable.

        I get the feeling that the US relatives are really caught up into
the profit potential of this situation, book deals, movie right, limelight,
media, talk shows, etc when this is all over. Elian represents a gravy train
to them. Freedom has nothing to do with it. The kid will never again be free
regardless of where he is raised.

        I just can imagine what it would be like if my son were separated
from me though no fault of my own. Would we condone a US spouse stealing one
of our children away and going to a foreign country or even another city or
state? Don't think so.