hi all

At 12:08 AM 2000/04/20 -0500, William Harshaw <[log in to unmask]> wrote,
in part:
>... during which the Foundation was reinvented with a new name
>"Parkinson Society Canada" and a new mission statement "We are the voice of
>the Parkinson community in Canada".... the new CEO and National Director
>of Parkinson Society Canada.  She is Mary Jardine, and she comes to us from
>the BC & Yukon Division of the Canadian Cancer Society.  Mary has
>substantial experience in the voluntary health charity sector....

this all sounds very positive and very promising!

i have been concerned about the canadian pd orgs for some time

i'm very happy to hear of these changes

in the past months i was asked my opinion about pd orgs in general
and about the apparent de-railing of the national canadian one in particular
by some cyber-pals; i include my response here for what it's worth

the concept of 'voices being heard' rings loud in this part of ontario!

janet

--------------------------------------
my thoughts in a nutshell:

back to the knitting  i.e. the basics
[self-examination can be painful but is essential for growth:
no guilt no blame no recrimination:  just the facts, ma'am]

1. purpose:
what is/are the purpose/mission/goals of the pfc?
[as stated at its inception and assuming they are still valid]

        a. when did the pfc do the best job of meeting those goals?
        b. when did the pfc do the worst job of meeting those goals?
        c. how did the pfc get off track?
        d. how can the pfc get on track?

2. premise:
IF no pwp = no pfc:
THEN pwp = customers = top priority = their voices have to be heard nationwide

        a. supporting pwp = the destination
        b. communication /research /clinics = the vehicle
        c. pd awareness and funding = the fuel

3. precedent:
why re-invent the wheel?
who else is doing this 'right' on a national basis?
U.K.? U.S.A.? Australia? New Zealand? South Africa?

the most important person has to be the Person With Parkinson's [PWP]
not the Gigantic Pharmaceutical Corporation [GPC]
not the Incredibly Generous Donor [IGD]
in my humble opinion [IMHO]

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0