This is in response to the request by Art Hirsch about other's
experiences about reclassifying drugs.

Art,

A persuasive person from an HMO talked me into switching my medical
insurance to that HMO. Upon studying their material and getting other
advice I found out that some of my medicines were not listed and could
not be obtained without appeal procedures with unspecified duration and
uncertain outcome.
The lure of the low administrative cost, when medicines were obtained
with them, quickly palled in the face of this uncertainty. I don't know
how others think about this, but to me it is worth the $200 monthly cost
when you can count on getting the right thing.
Apparently all the agonists are in this non-formulary class.
In view of the general acceptance of these meds, the separate
classification of them by the managed care clubs, can only be to try to
cut the cost.

It goes without saying that I hurriedly switched back to my expensive
but reliable insurance arrangement. Apparently HMO's are not suitable
for PWP's.
I certainly hope that someone, not in a vulnerable position, can make a
change
in HMO rules.

Will Kuipers,  Dallas, Texas