From: "Charles Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: nicotine patches

Are you sure that nicotine itself is the protective agent? An article
(albeit a very brief article) in New Scientist referred to 'substances in
smoke that inhibit the enzyme. They isolated a compound that blocks MAO's
activity in the test tube...' So maybe it's something else in the smoke
other than nicotine. If so, patches won't help. And isn't it proven that
taking up smoking after PD has started is not effective in slowing
progression? Tell me if I'm wrong - please.

Charles