Kathy, I'm Chuck, also a new member.
Early symptoms are seldom properly diagnosed from my study of this thing.
 I went through knee surgery occasioned by leg imbalance while running,
angiogram and all kinds of GI work for chest pain while running, etc.
Not until I noticed a slight but increasing  tremor (pill rolling) in
left thumb did I begin to suspect neurological problem.  A friend gave me
two books on PK early last April.  I recommend finding such literature,
but information about early symptoms is also available on line.

 I sat down late one night and started reading a list of symptoms.
Small, cramped handwriting, tremor, stiffness, loss of sense of smell,
slight imbalance while walking, oily skin on forehead and beside nose,
depression, anxiety, and several I have forgotten.  My heart was in my
throat by the bottom of the list, and when I went to neurologist he
diagnosed me in short order.  All these symptoms were subtle, but
cumulative in their evidentiary value.  Bottom line, you can play a role
in this process by becoming informed.  I take Requip, but also several
supplements and have noticed little progression of symptoms in the last
year.

Immediately after diagnosis locally I sought out a National Center of
Excellence, and drive two hours for appointments, but feel it is worth it
for the expertise available there.  Read up on all the stuff available at
the National Parkinson's Foundation Web Site and this will give you lots
to talk about with the doc.

 If you ever have to have this in your path, now is the time as real
progress is being made toward a cure, including a study just getting
underway of  way of a drug that may grow new dopamine neurons. (It did so
in animal trials)

I'm 59, so diagnosis wasn't near the shock it would be for you younger
folks, but you will get through this thing.  I no longer run, but I can
still play a mean game of golf and will keep active and stretch to the
best of my ability till this thing gets reversed.  In the meantime, it is
a great teacher of patience and living in the now.

Chuck