Message said in part, re: medical evidence:
"Evidence is    growing that cigarette smoking and nicotine may prevent
or
ameliorate    Parkinson's disease, and could do so in Alzheimer's
dementia. A
variety of    mechanisms for potentially beneficial effects of smoking
have
been    proposed, but three predominate: the 'anti-estrogenic effect' of
smoking;    alterations in prostaglandin production; and stimulation of
nicotinic    cholinergic receptors in the central nervous system. Even
established inverse    associations cannot be used as a rationale for
cigarette
smoking. These data    can be used, however, to clarify mechanisms of
disease,
and point to    productive treatment or preventive options with more
narrowly-acting    interventions."

So far most of what has been said seems to focus ultimately on nicotine
itself.  I would never personally consider smoking as an option short of
it promising a cure or complete halt to my progression of PK, but I'd
sure look at gum, snuff, patch, or some other less clearly unhealthful
way of taking in nicotine if this research proves out.