TEAM PARKINSON STORMS LOS ANGELES.
Over 100 athletes take part in the LA Marathon to raise funds for
Parkinson’s Disease.

LOS ANGELES- Over 100 athletes ran, biked or walked for TEAM PARKINSON
on Sunday, March 5th 2000. The goal was to raise money for research to
cure Parkinson's and to raise awareness about the disease.  Volunteers
and staff from numerous Southern California Parkinson's organizations
came together to organize TEAM PARKINSON in a display of cooperation and
commitment. Over $35,000, including sponsorship contributions and
matching gifts, raised at the event will be made available for Pro-Seed
grant research projects. TEAM PARKINSON was directed by the Parkinson’s
Unity Walk in association with the Parkinson Alliance.

Participants came to Los Angeles from as far away as Massachusetts,
Florida, Oregon, Washington, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Texas
and the District of Columbia.  Despite unseasonably cool and stormy
weather in LA, turnout for the event was excellent and spirits were high.

A number of individual stories highlighted TEAM PARKINSON at the LA
Marathon.  Mary Yost, diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease ten years ago,
completed her very first marathon.  She crossed the finish line in 9
hours and 18 minutes.  John Ball, a runner with Parkinson's who has been
in numerous LA Marathons, finished the twenty-six-mile course for TEAM
PARKINSON this time in under five hours.

Daniel Marcus finished the last mile of the marathon in his wheel chair.
 Dan has Parkinson’s and he is blind but that did not stop him from
collecting over $4,000 for the cause.  His story was featured in the Los
Angeles Times earlier in the week.

A number of cyclists with Parkinson’s participated.

Tom Brown, a young-onset leader from Orange County cycled the 25-mile
course.  Last year Tom accompanied Matt Drayton on his ride from Los
Angeles to San Francisco during the last leg of the Parkinson’s Power
Across America campaign.

Speaking of Matt Drayton, the originator of the Parkinson’s Power Across
America event also rode the 25-mile LA Marathon course along with his
father Chuck Drayton.  Matt will be running the Boston marathon and is
putting together plans for a new event to raise funds for PD scheduled
for 2001.

Wallace Teal was at the LA Marathon as well.  He rode across the
southern portion of the U.S. from California to Florida as part of
Parkinson’s Power Across America in 1999.  Wallace’s late wife had PD
and he raises money for a fund in her name.

Jim Wetherell, a former tour-bus driver from Hemet, California and PWP
also completed the event.  Jim has been ‘cycling for a cure’  for PD for
nearly two years.  He recorded his 13,000th mile during the bikeathon.
When Jim rides his stylish recumbent bicycle through your town be sure
to come out and say hello.

On Sunday, April 9th, participants, volunteers and sponsors joined
together for a victory party.  Spirits were high and, judging by the
level of enthusiasm at the party, organizers will be working even harder
to put together a bigger and better TEAM PARKINSON event in 2001.

The first TEAM PARKINSON event is also a first for the Parkinson’s Unity
Walk and the Parkinson Alliance.  The event was truly a cooperative
effort.  Both organizations look forward to marshalling resources
together for similar joint ventures in the future.  Besides raising more
money for research we hope that TEAM PARKINSON can be viewed as a model
showing how local groups, regional chapters and our national
organizations can work together on such projects to accomplish our
shared goal – CURING PARKINSON’S DISEASE.

We would like to thank the following individuals for their help.

Mignone Trenary, Event Chair
Mary Yost whose foresight, dedication and hard work made this event
possible.
Holly Robinson-Peete and Rodney Peete, our TEAM PARKINSON Co-Captains
Sheralyn Richardson – prize-winning cheerleader and impromptu coach
Edna Ball for her hard work and commitment.
The rest of our TEAM PARKINSON committee members and volunteers who
worked beyond the call of duty to make this event a success.

Thanks to our distinguished Corporate and Group MILE SPONSORS:

Pacific Gulf Properties
O.C. Parkinson’s Support Groups
Shenanigan’s Irish Pub
St. Johns Neuroscience Institute, Oxnard
Orange County Printing Company

Thanks to our Family and Friends MILE SPONSORS:
Aunt Fanny’s Family
The Kathleen Cooper Family
The Hotchkin Family
Carol & Clyde King
The Lollabrigida Crew
The Marcus Family
Friends of the Marcus Family
The Scher Family
The Warsaw Family
The Lloyd Sukut Family
The Jacobowitz Family
Fans of Millard Tipp
Friends of Thomas G. Brown
MoMo’s Mile
In Honor of Ken Curry
In Honor of JoAnn Nelson
The Rupert A. Sympson Memorial Mile
In Honor of Bev Steward, Santa Barbara

Thanks to the organizations that endorse the Parkinson’s Unity Walk and
their scientific boards which direct Pro-Seed pilot study research funds
collected by the Parkinson’s Unity Walk and the Parkinson Alliance.

The National Parkinson Foundation
The American Parkinson Disease Association
The Parkinson Disease Foundation
The Parkinson’s Action Network
The Parkinson’s Institute

If I left out anyone - please let me know!

Thanks again.

Ken Aidekman
Chairman of the Parkinson's Unity Walk