the change to 50/200 CR is ignoring all the hidden problems of CR:
it is overdosing - also has erratic peaks
it does not work well for elderly
it is promoted by the drug company because it is more profitable
it's efficacy is about 77%
is very slow usually in getting effective
should not be used when 25/100CR or half or 1/4 of a 50/200 might work

the increasing rigidity may be advancement of symptom or it may be
random and change throughout the day

the sinemet CR is not likely to change the tremoring or the rigidity
any differently

the dosage time maximum is about 2.5 hours fro regular meds and 4
hours for the CR (as whole, half, or quarter - crumbled is likely to
give a very strong unpleasant response)

most of his day your father is not having sufficient levodopa in his
bloodstream with one upon awaking and the second before supper

tell the doctor to learn something from the real data and experience
of many by going back to the 25/100 and taking halves of that at 2 to
2.5 hour intervals from arising until two or three hours before
retiring. that should give benefit all day long unless he eats a
large meal or one with too much protein.

The best advice is twice as often with half as much until you get to
near-level blood concentration of levodopa in bloodstream

there is some data here:
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/levodopa.pdf

you or the doctor will need adobe acrobat reader to open the .PDF file