Debbie,

Just what I was thinking.

Yen, have your father checked for orthostatic hypertension.  His blood
pressure should be checked when he is (1) lying down (2) sitting and (3)
standing.  His problem might be a result of BP being quite high when he is
reclining and then dropping sharply when he stands up.  There are
medications to control this problem.

Jane Koenig