On 24 Apr 2000, at 22:08, William A. Parrette wrote: (in part)

>         Another  resource  for  those who don't currently have Web ac-
>      cess. And the primary reason is  that  their  "classic"  computer
>      doesn't have the "uumph" to handle the bloated, resource-hogging,
>      memory-leaking browsers such as Netscape  or  Internet  Explorer,
>      there *may* be another option.
>
>         Find a friend who does have the bloated, resource-hogg ... oh,
>      heck, ... one of those "other" browsers, and have them  point  it
>      to:
>
>                           http://lynx.browser.org/
>
>         Lynx  is a free-ware program that is distributed under the GNU
>      copy-left general public licensing agreement.  It is also a *text
>      only*  browser -- it doesn't know how to display graphics images,
>      sounds, or any other non-text item.  Because it is *text only* it
>      is  a  rather small program and can run on those olde ... er, uh,
>      ... I mean "classic" computers that don't have quite all  of  the
>      "bells  and  whistles"  that, uh ..., "less-classic" computers of
>      today have available.
>
>         Once your friend has reached this site, download a copy of the
>      version that works on your system, copy it to a diskette, and in-
>      stall the system from the diskette on to your home, "classic" ma-
>      chine.
>
>         It  ain't quite as snappy, nifty, and neat-o as a full graphic
>      browser, but if you really don't need the  pictures,  animations,
>      and  sounds  (ask  Murray!),  this is a fully functioning browser
>      that can do most everything else.
>
>         I  wish  *I* could help.  But, as a Mac person -- and there is
>      no Mac version of lynx available yet -- I  wouldn't  be  of  mush
>      help  anyway.   Or, you can still e-mail janet for a text copy in
>      e-mail (she's so friendly and helpful :-) )
>
>         If  this  helps  just one user, another one of my book-length,
>      nerdy, techno-geek, off-topic posts to the list  will  have  been
>      worthwhile.  Take care and grok around the clock ...
>
> Bill--
>   ...who sometimes thinks that Chicken Little was right.

Hi Bill and All,
First, let me say I find your posts always worthwhile.

Second, Lynx will work on very limited hardware, in DOS on
AT's!  But you need an understanding ISP like the Freenet.
The volunteers at the community based Freenets are
generally a Godsend when it comes to support...

If you have a 386 with 8 megs of Ram running Windows 3.1
then my personal preferences are Opera for the browser and
Pegasus for the e-mail.  Opera is free to evaluate for 30 days
and still (in compressed download form) is about 1.5 megs.
Pegasus is a little larger.

If you will just try these two software packages (even on the
high priced full blown latest el-jazz-bando computers) you
will appreciate their speed and quality performance. As Janet
so aptly put it... Opera makes all the others seem "tone deaf".

My "two-bits" ............. murray
Incidentally, I downloaded WebFerret too and put it to the test
over the last few days. It's also a "keeper".