Last Week for World Parkinson's Day His Holiness Pope John Paul II sent the
following telegram to the meeting of  a European Parkinson's  Patients in
Rome.  The message was read by Dr. Alessandro Pelosio a friend of mine and
Fellow PWP who was  a member of this list several years ago.  This message
according to Alessandro was unprecedented and the meeting and the Pope's
message was well covered by the Italian press.

While  personally I would have liked him to have helped remove the stigma of
PD by announcing to the world his own PD I am grateful to his holiness for a
step (recent) small step in that direction and his blessings directed to
last week's meeting in Rome.

Text of Telegram from Pope John-Paul II regarding Parkinson's Meeting

Charlie

TELEGRAMMA   DEL PAPA

ON THE OCCASION OF THE WORLD'S PARKINSON DAY THE SUPREME PONTIFF
GREETS ORGANIZERS, SPEAKERS AND PARTICIPANTS, WISHING THAT THIS MEETING MAY
INCREASE THE SCIENTIFIC KNOW-HOW SO AS TO IMPROVE THE THERAPEUTIC
CAPABILITIES AND SKILLS, WHEN DEALING WITH THIS DISEASE, WHILE AT THE SAME
TIME STRENGTHENING RECIPROCAL BROTHERHOOD AND SOLIDARITY RELATIONS
WHEN GENEROUSLY ATTENDING ON SUFFERING HUMAN BEINGS.
IN THE HOPE THAT SATISFACTORY RESULTS ARE ACHIEVED BY THE CONVENTION WORKS,
HIS HOLINESS  BESTOWS HIS BESOUGHT APOSTOLIC BLESSING.
     CARDINAL  ANGELO SODANO, SECRETARY OF STATE