-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: plmaddux <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: woensdag 26 april 2000 2:08
Onderwerp: Bad reaction to sinemet, info please

>> I just took my first dose of sinemet and am having a bad reaction, I have
tremor as only symptom, took 1/2 of 25/100 witha light meal at 5pm, two
hours later my tremor in 4 times as violent as it has ever been, just talked
to doctor, he was no help, just said that sometimes sinemet does not help
tremor. what is going on here, i never heard of sinemet making sympoms worse
rather than better. <<

Hi Lanier,

1)    With ANY new medication the body needs to adjust. So that can give
unusual (temporary) fluctuations.

2)    the (too high) tonus of the muscles can untill now have counteracted
the tremors. Sinemet can have given a lower tonus and more relaxed muscles,
but at the same time the more relaxed muscles suppress the tremors less than
before and make the tremors become more visible.

3)    in some PWP Sinemet is no help against tremors. In various PWP meds
have various side-effects, sometimes even exacerbations of PD-symptoms.

Hans.