I'm tired of these guys too.  But Brownshirt-  er Brownback- shouldn't be
our focus.  He's probably a lost cause and likely a good part of his anti-
evolution Kansas constituency agrees with him.  We need to work on
reasonable conservatives like John McCain who think things through and are
brave enough to take a stand on Stem cell research which differs from the
"party line".  The point is that stem cell research  differs from abortion
in several important ways.

As a Jew who would not be here if the Nazi's won the war (and would
certainly have been a victim- had I lived in Europe ) in 1944 when my mother
was pregnant with me.  I reject and am offended to comparison of the
holocaust to stem cell research. As a physician  I reject the Senator's
characterization of stem cell research as Nazi Medicine and am deeply
offended.  Stem cells are not people- or in any real sense potential people
they start out and "live their lives" as cells in a Petri dish,  implanted
to become children by the "Nazi doctors" and "anti-life people" who are
working in fertility research to make it so everyone who wants children can
have them. The cells cannot develop in an extrauterine environment  The stem
cells are derived  from the embryos which are left over and would be
discarded.  In addition they likely form groups of immortal cell lines so
ultimately it will be unnecessary to resort to even this method to obtain
the cells.  What is more reprehensible behavior-  to throw away cells that
have the potential to provide healing to those with spinal cord injuries,
relieve the rigidity and tremor from a Parkinson's patient or provide real
hope to the family of a child with a degenerative metabolic disorder. to
those who are doomed from a metabolic hereditary disease. As a PWP whose
life may well depend on the benefits derived from stem cell research I wish
that Senator Brownback's thinking had evolved beyond the 15th century "world
is Flat " mentality that it exhibits.

Just some ramblings Jim,  Keep alert for all of us and thanks again for all
you have done for all PWP.  While we have disagreed at times that has if
anything increased rather than decreased my admiration for you and what you
have done for the PD community.

Charles T. Meyer, MD