Hi Audrey and All.
I responded privately to Audrey's request for info but
have amalgamated the search results here into one response.

Does anyone have anything to add?

On 23 Apr 2000, at 11:05, Audrey wrote:

> Hi Murray,
>  I am a Parkinson list member, and it seems that you are very good
> at finding things on the internet. You must enjoy it!  I have learned so
> much from the list and believe that my husband died of CBGD just two
>  years after being diagnosed with Parkinson's.  Just three and one-half
> months as Parkinsons Plus. CBGD is Corticobasal Ganglionic Degeneration.
> I also believe that he may have also had PSP.
> I have joined the cbgd support on line, but it is so rare, there "seems" to
> be
> no organised information on it and it was a very lonely stuggle to deal
> with.
> And still is.  If you could find the time and energy to see what you can
> find,
> I would be eternally gratefull. You can email me [log in to unmask] or
> through
> the Parkinson list.  I can not rest until I get some answers.  Thank you for
> listening.     Sincerely,  Audrey Nick

Hi Audrey,
I hope these links help provide some answers....

I started with the US National Library of Medicine...

MeSH - Medical Subject Headings - is the US National Library of Medicine's
[Bethesda, MD] controlled vocabulary used to index and catalog bibliographic
and other types of biomedical information material.

Alphabetical List of Specific Diseases/Disorders
http://www.mic.ki.se/Diseases/alphalist.html

Diseases, Disorders & Related Topics
http://www.mic.ki.se/Diseases/index.html

Nervous System Diseases
http://www.mic.ki.se/Diseases/c10.html

Central Nervous System Diseases
http://www.mic.ki.se/Diseases/c10.228.html

Worldwide Education for Movement Disorders
http://www.wemove.org/

Corticobasal Degeneration
http://www.wemove.org/cbd.html

Corticobasal Degeneration
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/patients/Disorder/corticobasal/corticobasal.htm

Corticobasal Degeneration
http://www.medemall.com/general/cortdeg.htm

Corticobasal Degeneration
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/921395030.html

To Obtain Suggested Resources . . .
This page offers suggestions to help you obtain copies of journal
articles and excerpts from medical textbook
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/patients/fs-guide.htm

Corticobasal Ganglionic Degeneration
This is a webforum to discuss and comment on CBGD
http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum/Cortico.Gang.Deg.Menu.html

Cortical Basal Ganglionic Degeneration
http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic77.htm

CorticoBasal Ganglionic Degeneration (CBGD)
http://www.neuro.nwu.edu/meded/MOVEMENT/corticobasal.html

Baylor Neurology Case of the Month
Patient #17 - CorticoBasal Ganglionic Degeneration (CBGD)
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat17/menu.html
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat17/history.html
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat17/warning.html
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat17/labtest.html
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat17/summary.html

Patient #17 - Self Test
Corticobasal Ganglionic Degeneration (CBGD)
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/neurol/challeng/pat17/selftest.html

Corticobasal Ganglionic Degeneration Web Forum
http://132.183.145.103/forum/Cortico.Gang.Deg.Menu.html

Corticobasal Ganglionic Degeneration and Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
Presenting with Cognitive Decline
http://brainpathology.upmc.edu/vol8/0802/82a9.htm

Differential Diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease and The Parkinsonism
http://www.hooked.net/~ccjm/shy-drager/mail-archive/0523.html

Parkinson Plus
http://dem0nmac.mgh.harvard.edu/neurowebforum/GeneralFeedbackArticles/Park
insonPlus.html This response submitted by Neurologist on 9/9/95. Parkinson
Plus is a term used to describe numerous disorders characterized by
parkinsonian features (rigidity, slow movements, tremor) PLUS other
neurological signs such as incoordination of gait, muscle wasting, or
autonomic disturbances. More specific terms are sometimes used depending
on the clinical features: Shy-Drager syndrome, olivo-ponto-cerebellar
degeneration, striato nigral degeneration, supranuclear palsy,
dentato-rubro-pallido-luysian atrophy etc. They all have in common
degeneration of brain cells in various parts of the brain. Unfortunately,
treatment is usually unsatisfactory. Hope this helps, Sincerely, Canadian
neurologist.

Patients with "Parkinson's plus" are not candidates for surgery. This is
usually a patient who has PD along with 6 other neurological disorders
that may so threaten the patient's life and well-being that aggressive
treatment of the PD is unwarranted. A few examples of such other
afflictions would include (in worsening order): Shy-Drager syndrome,
Substantia Nigra Degeneration (SND), Progressive Supra-nuclear Palsy
(PSP), OlivoPontoCerebellar Atrophy (OPCA) and Multisystem Atrophy.

Parkinson's Plus - An Excerpt from
http://alumni.engin.umich.edu/~jxm/parkguide.html
Pathologic studies into the underlying cause of PD have lead to the
discovery of a number of other diseases which share clinical features to
PD. Approximately 80% of patients who present with the symptoms above will
be found to have idiopathic PD. Approximately 8% have secondary PD (due to
toxins, drugs, trauma, metabolic disorder, infection stroke, brain tumor).
About 10% have Parkinson plus syndromes, a group of disorders with
multiple system degeneration with neurologic involvement beyond the
typical features of PD. These include eye movement problems in Progressive
Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), dysautonomia (problems with blood pressure,
digestion, etc...) in Shy Drager Syndrome (SDS), ataxia (poor
coordination) in OlivoPontoCerebellar Atrophy (OPCA), apraxia (poor fine
motor control), myoclonus (jerking) and alien hand in CorticoBasal
Ganglionic Degeneration (CBGD), dementia in Alzheimer's Disease with
Parkinsonism (ADP) or diffuse Lewy Body Disease (LBD), dementia with motor
neuron disease with Parkinsonism Dementia Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
(PD-ALS). These diseases usually have less tremor, early problems with
gait and poor response to Sinemet.

Symptoms of Parkinsons and Parkinson's Plus
http://www.pwc.k12.nf.ca/b2201/assignments/parkinsons/symptoms.html
(educational, but don't believe Pallidotomy is necessarily the answer)

Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
http://www.neuro.nwu.edu/meded/MOVEMENT/psp2.htm

Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Europe Association
http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/PSPeur/

What is PSP?
http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/PSPeur/web_whatis.htm

Facts About Progressive Supranuclear Palsy...PSP
http://www.psp.org/facts/facts.shtml

Helping the Helpers - Successful Caregiving
http://www.psp.org/facts/helpers.shtml

Shy-Drager Syndrome or MSA
http://www.ndrf.org/MSA.htm
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/patients/disorder/shydrger/shydrger.htm
http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/ShyDragerF/MSAFactSheet.html

Shy-Drager Syndrome Support Group 8th International Conference with
the American Autonomic Society
1996 SDS conference - part 1
http://www.hooked.net/~ccjm/shy-drager/mail-archive/0524.html

Parkinson's Disease
http://www.neuro.nwu.edu/meded/MOVEMENT/parkinsons.html

Multiple System Atrophy (MSA)
http://www.neuro.nwu.edu/meded/MOVEMENT/msa.html

Pick's Disease Information Page
http://www.isl.net/~hoffcomp/picks.html

Coping With Pick's - Links
http://www.bhoffcomp.com/coping/picks.html

What is Lewy Body Disease?
http://www.zarcrom.com/users/alzheimers/odem/lewy00.html

Lewy Body Disease - Not Exactly Alzheimer's or Parkinson's Disease
http://www.alzsf.org/research/resrchlewy.html

Diffuse Lewy Body Disease Presenting as Multiple System Atrophy
http://canjneurolsci.org/26maytoc/diffuse.html

Dementia with Lewy Bodies
http://www.neuro.nwu.edu/meded/behavioral/lewy.html

Research activities
http://www.prit.go.jp/en/ulhi/ulhie.html

Corpus Callosum Atrophy and Cognitive Impairment in Corticobasal
Degeneration http://members.tripod.com/~ThJuland/corpus-callosum.html
http://www.albany.net/~tjc/corpus-callosum.html

Comparative Biochemistry of Tau in Progressive Supranuclear Palsy,
Corticobasal Degeneration, FTDP-17 and Pick's Disease
http://brainpathology.upmc.edu/vol9/0904/0904a6.htm

Role of tau proteins
http://www.alzforum.org/members/forums/amsterdam/news/mechanisms_2.html

Support Groups & Patient-to-Patient Services
MGH Neurosurgical Service
MGH Neurology Department
http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/SptGps.htm

Let me know if you require anything else...

Best wishes ............ murray