Exp Neurol 2000 May;163(1):55-62

GDNF and NT-4 Protect Midbrain Dopaminergic Neurons from Toxic Damage by
Iron and Nitric Oxide.

Lingor P, Unsicker K, Krieglstein K

Neuroanatomy, University of Heidelberg, INF 307, Heidelberg, D-69120,
Germany

Free radical formation is considered to be a major cause of dopaminergic
(DAergic) cell death in the substantia nigra leading to Parkinson's disease
(PD). In this study we employed several radical donors including iron and
sodium nitroprusside to induce toxic effects on DAergic neurons cultured
from the embryonic rat midbrain floor. Overall cell survival was assessed by
assaying LDH, and DAergic neuron survival was monitored by counting tyrosine
hydroxylase-positive cells. Our data suggest that the DAergic neuron
population is about fourfold more susceptible to free-radical-mediated
damage than the total population of midbrain neurons. Application of the
neurotrophic factors GDNF and NT-4, for which DAergic neurons have specific
receptors, prior to toxin administration protected these neurons from
toxin-mediated death, which, fully or in part, occurs under the signs of
apoptosis. These findings underscore the importance of GDNF and NT-4 in
designing future therapeutical concepts for PD.

Copyright 2000 Academic Press.