Abby:
        I am finally getting well enough to cope with e-mail again. So this is
a response to your mfm list query.

        The livery co. mfms cannot be made available to anyone, as I do not
have the permission of the companies for their use by anyone except
myself. They are supposed to be restricted to me and, for the purposes
of checking my work, to the REED staff. Indeed, when the London work
ends, I am required to write each company to ask whether they want the
mfms destroyed or whether, by that time, they would be willing to allow
us to keep them, under some kind of restricted access policy. (A gradual
loosening is taking place, in some of the companies, as witness the fact
that the Merchant Taylors have finally put their MSS on deposit in the
G.L.--though with very restricted access still.) The same goes for
photocopies of company records.

        It would therefore make sense not to list the company materials, to
avoid having to deal with profitless queries from people thinking that
if REED has these materials others will be able to look at them.

        The CLRO mfms are different; access is permitted, although the usual
restrictions/regulations apply about not publishing material without
CLRO permission.

Best, Anne