At 09:53 PM 2000/05/07 -0400, "chuck bulch <[log in to unmask]>" wrote, in part:
>...I am a relatively newbie to this PD Crap and I have to fight every day
>to keep a half-way positive attitude, and that is with taking anti
>depressives.  I'd probably be a total basket case w/o them.  I really
>can't understand how some of  these people on this net have retained
>their sense of humour or regained it if that is the case....

in my experience
my sense of humour and my ability to smile is the first warning sign!

it's all to do with perceptions and negative thinking and cognitive distortions
a section of 'a new voice' website is dedicated to my thoughts on 'perceptions'

i have also posted many news articles about clinical depression [i call it cd]
which can be dug out of the list archives

cd is the most common disability worldwide bar none
according to WHO

sadly
1. it is frequently undiagnosed
2. it is frequently untreated even if diagnosed
3. it is frequently undertreated in terms of not enough meds for long enough
even if diagnosed and treated with anti-depressants

and tragically
it is the primary cause of suicide

interestingly
my pages on suicide in the 'my words to the pienet' section of 'a new voice'
have received more 'hits' than any others
which i am extremely grateful for
[if it still can't be 'talked about' easily for fear of stigma
it can now be 'read about' without stigma]

so in this particular case, you may be undermedicated;
and also, cognitive therapy has a better success rate with cd
than meds alone or other forms of 'talking therapy'

there is a lot of information about cognitive therapy in the archives

>I believe I probably had PD about five years before I was diagnosed,
>but I  have had very few good days since Oct 6, 98.  I don't think I
>suffer from dementia but I have so much pain, cramps, rigidity ,
>freezing, etc. that I do find myself getting confused sometimes....

two years???
it's awfully early days for you to be enduring freezing spells!
what is your med regimen? [if any?]
what type of doctor did your diagnosis?

>This is a brief reply to say thank you for choosing this topic.
>But, should you need any more info' after you hear from the adults
>on the pieNET I would be most happy to hear from you on the net or
>privately.  The only thing I can promise you is you will get the
>straight facts as I see them.
>Marie
>M. Marie McNeely
>64/62/60?

there is a wealth of 'straight' factual information already in our archives
from the last seven years of sharing support here...
happy digging!

i am puzzled, however,
 by another 'different' type of 'mental symptom'
that seems to be common among lots of our parkie cyber-family members:

JUST WHAT is the connection between PD and Poetry????
and howcum my favourite poetry website's initials are PD, TOO???

Poetry Daily
http://www.poems.com/

is there something sinister happening to our braincells that we need to know?

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
come visit my website "a new voice" at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/