On Saturday, April 22, PwP's, CG's, friends, families and supporters all
came out to Tyson's Galleria mall for the 'We're All Shook Up!'
Parkinson's Awareness Day and Health Fair Event hosted by the Capital
Chapter of the National Parkinson Foundation.  The event's objective was
two-fold: First, to raise awareness and increase understanding about PD
and our search for a cure.  Second, to raise money to fund both research
into the cause(s) & cure for PD and patient services for PwP and CG's.

Throughout the day, attendees had the opportunity to visit the Health
Fair booths, speak with representatives from the various participating
organizations, collect valuable free information and giveaways on
Parkinson's treatment options, home health care, speech therapy,
wellness classes, and other local health resources.

The presentation portion of the day was 'emceed' by Chapter Medical
Director, Linda Sigmund, MD.  Virginia State Senator Leslie Byrne was
the first speaker and made a Parkinson's Disease Awareness Declaration
.  Registered dietitian Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD followed with a
presentation on "Eating Well and Staying Well with Parkinson's
Disease".  Judy Cooper, CCNPF Exercise Class Instructor, with daughter
Diane narrating, led a group of members in an exercise class demo.  They
strutted their stuff to our theme song, Elvis Presley's own "Were All
Shook Up!"  They showed us how exercise and great attitudes can go a
long way to fighting back against PD.  Jack Anderson, syndicated
columnist, shared some of his "Life Experiences and Living with PD" as
the final speaker of the program.

The chapter hosted its own table at the Health Fair, providing
information about PD and distributed free 'We're All Shook Up!' T-shirts
to chapter members.  Everyone was invited to enter the free Register to
Win contest.  We had fun giving away great prizes including gift
certificates to local restaurants, a free massage, and much more.

Overall, the day was a fulfilled and educational way to have the
Parkinson's community come together to raise awareness and funds for
PD.  Although final returns are not yet in, we estimate that we took in
over $ 20,000 for the event, and more still coming in.

Michel Margosis
'Humor Editor'