Judy,

you wrote:
> perhaps your word sadness describes the very real feelings one gets at the
> onset of parkinsons and I guess as the thing progresses
> maybe we a re dealing with semantics

I have had PD for 13+ years now and I am still sad occasionally - but,
thank God, not depressed - and certainly not clinically depressed. In my
experience (and I have experienced CD vicariously through having to deal
with it in others) the difference between sadness and depression, far from
being one of semantics, is profound. My concern is that because the symptoms
of PD (in particular the mask with its frozen, down turned, features ) make
us look depressed it is assumed that we are depressed. As the disease
progresses the problem is exacerbated by our reduced ability to communicate
and so more and more decisions are made for us - including decisions about
how we 'must' be feeling. This could lead PWP being proscribed medication
they do not need for a condition they do not have. I am in no way trying to
belittle CD.  From what I have seen of it, it is a terrible, destructive
force and the medications used to combat it are powerful drugs. It is
precisely for that reason that I don't want them in my system without good
reason.  Equally, if I did need them I most certainly would want them in my
system.  Determining which is the true situation for any given PWP is of
crucial importance to them and is not achieved by assuming that they are or
re not depressed. That determination should be made by qualified
professionals.
This is not an easy problem for anyone.

Dennis.

PS - Yes I am in Australia:-)

> >From: Dennis Greene <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Re: depression
> >Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 05:52:56 +0800
> >
> >The subject of depression and PD is perennial. Some years ago I posted
the
> >following as a gentle reminder that whilst it is arguable that 100% of
PWP
> >look depressed it is a matter of record that only 40-60% are depressed.
Or
> >to put that another way 40-60% of PWP do not experience long term
> >depression.

> >  Ok - who hid the Prozac
> >
> >Thoughts on being told that everyone with Parkinson's will suffer from
> >Clinical Depression
> >
> >(Note: There is a school of thought, to which I don't subscribe, which
sees
> >clinical depression as an inevitable companion to Parkinson's Disease.
One