From: [log in to unmask]>Jackie G.
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 8:37 AM
Subject: Help

My husband, Bob, (age 49) diagnosed eight years ago, had a Pallidotomy (rt. brain) 1997, has been on a steady decline sine his DBS  STN (rt. brain also) in January, 2000.  He is now in Hospice at home.

Aside from the fact that he can hardly move anything, he is in terrible pain... in his calves, thighs, feet, back, neck and arms.  He has difficulty swallowing his pills so I give them in applesauce.

He is currently taking:
MS Contin  15 mg  every 12 hours
Compazine  10 mg
Roxicet   5/325  every 4 hours as needed
Valium  5 mg, twice a day
Artane  5 mg, 3 x a day
Paxil  once a day
Seroquel  25 mg.   2 at bed
Senecot  2 in morning, 2 at bed
Quinine   325 mg   2 at bed
Dalmane  15 mg.  2 at bet

-2 reg  25/100 Sinemet
-3 CR  25/100 Sinemet
- the above at various times throughout the day.

Obviously the pain meds are not working as he is in such tremendous pain, I must constantly pick him up (200 lbs) and move him to a different position, usually to the wheelchair, sofa and back to the hospital bed again, we do this over and over all day and all night long.  If we are lucky he sleeps 3 straight hours, usually 1 - 2 hours and again wakes up from the muscle cramps.

Needless to say this is an extremely difficult time (I feel especially sad for our 15 yr. old daughter who is living is this horrible ordeal).  The doctors are puzzled by Bob's pain - they do not know why he is in such pain therefore they are reluctant to prescribe any stronger pain meds, so yesterday they added the Valium.  To me and Bob last night  his cramps seemed to be worse than before the Valium.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts we would appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Jackie Gilman