I have watched a blister grow on the skin of a hypnotised subject touched
by a finger tip, but told it was a lighted cigarette.

 I have watched a brother with terminal liver and colon cancer, given a
two month prognosis by oncologists at the U  of A (after surgery and
other medical efforts for two years failed to halt the spread), decline
chemo, adopt a macrobiotic food diet and the practice of meditation, then
be pronounced cancer free 13 months later.

Twenty years ago medical science denied any connection between diet and
cancer.  Today this has changed, but scientists still resist the
possibility that diet can be curative.  Few physicians would deny that,
at times, medical science finds intself playing "catch up," with
disciplines not restricted by the "scientific method" of research.
Witness the slow acknowledgement of the efficacy of accupuncture as one
example.

Studies have demonstrated that certain attitudes correlate with good and
bad prognoses in many illnesses.

My dad, troubled most of his life by migranes, learned biofeedback and
today has absolute control of migrane cycles, stopping them at the outset
with mental imagery.

Is it possible that, given the incredible power of our mind, we can
affect the physiology of our bodies, including the brain's chemical
balance, by the patterns of our thinking?

Sinead and I believe diet and "positive" thinking patterns can be
therapeutic because that has been our experience.

Some folks in 12 Step programs apply the rationale that if someone quit
drinking (using, etc.) without a 12 step program they must not have been
a real alcoholic (addict, etc.) in the first place.  With this simple
logic they dismiss all input and declare irrelevant all experience from
such people under the conclusion that such folks are "not one of us.":

Are some of us using this same kind of logic to dismiss the experience of
 those who say diet and positive thinking were effective in their
depression, i.e, "They were not suffering from true CD."

Wouldn't it be interesting if someday we determine that negative thinking
patterns change brain chemistry, and that, with rescue and transitional
help from anti depressant meds, diligent training in positive thought
patterns proves to be the best method of keeping brain chemistry healthy?

In the meantime, I'll keep taking my St. John's Wort and Requip for
whatever they have contributed to my coming "out of the darkness and into
the light."  (Title of the book- written by a psychiatrist -  that
boosted me down the path to peace of mind). And if I go back to a darker
place I will use all the resources I can find, medical and spiritual, to
come back out again.

Chuck