Hi Jo Ann: Don't give up the search for an anti-depressant
that works for you, and with an acceptable side-effect
profile. The side-effects you describe sound like those of
the ones classified as SSRIs, for example, Prozac. There
are many more available, one of which may work better FOR
YOU.
There are the atypical ones, as well as the good
old-fashioned (but still effective) tri-cyclics and
MAO-inhibitors. There is even one that is still waiting
approval in the U.S. (although it has been used
successfully in Europe for years)called Reboxetine which
promises to be a break-through drug, since it is the first
of those classified as SNRIs, similar to the situation with
Prozac a few years ago when it debuted.
Incidentally, I, too, was reluctant to admit I needed help
for a "mental" illness 10 years ago, when I began suffering
from severe depression (a precourser to my PD diagnosis.)
I used to sneak in the back door of the Center for
Psychotherapy where my psychiatrist worked, until i noticed
that 1/2 of the therapists, nurses, etc. that I worked with
were also sneaking in and out. The was in the days before
managed care, when you had the luxury to combine medication
with the "talk cure", the best of both worlds.
                       Carole