Dear Bill: Let me preface this, MY 2 cents worth on
depression, by saying that I enjoy your comments/humor. I
would also like to say I'm glad you're not depressed
because Clinical Depression is a bitch. That said, let me
get up on my soapbox for a little lecture on Clinical
Depression 101. CD is a biological illness like any other.
It has a physical cause-the absence of necessary
neurotransmitters in the brain-and can be managed with the
correct medication. What makes it different from other
illnesses, like diabetes, for example, is that people don't
try to "cope" with their diabetes, or try to "tough it out"
They don't try to "deal" with it. They take their
medication and they feel better.
Ay, there's the rub. Depression is still viewed as a MENTAL
illness and I truly believe that's what scares people into
denial. One of my favorite jobs as a psychiatric nurse is
to run groups for my patients that teach them about their
disease. I try to empower them with the facts and the
knowledge they need to educate themselves-and hopefully
others-about the misconceptions about mental illness.
Sadly, most of my patients will never be able to do this,
but the people on this List are a well-educated group who
should not embrace misconceptions.
Anti-depressants are NOT "happy pills" They simply enable
you to climb up from the hell that is CD into experiencing
the "normal" highs and lows that we call life. They do NOT
have any more side-effects that any other class of
medication (think of the mind-altering drugs most PWPs take
on a routine basis)
Besides, why would anyone want to suffer from a disease for
which a cure was available? Get help IF you need it.
Depression kills. I've seen it.
             Carole Hercun, R.N.,C.  53/51/?45