At 11:05 AM 2000/05/12 -0300, Joao Carvalho <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Hi Janet ,
>It is not schizophrenia that has an abrupt change of mood ?
>How about people that have double personality ? Could these
>have some connection  with the "on-off" condition someway
>since they occur also in the brain ?

hi joao

i don't know much at all about schizophrenia other than
that it is connected to 'too much dopamine' as opposed to 'too little'
[hey! maybe we could work some deals...!]

double or multiple personality syndrome i believe
can manifest in extremely abrupt changes in 'personae'
but i think that those changes are triggered by outside circumstances
as they appear to affect the psychology or safety of the personae involved

i guess i was thinking of something like sub-conscious "mini-stages"
of despair or denial and elation and hope
and maybe even frustration
underlying it all

just musing...

imagining how someone in christopher reeve's condition
would cope if he could suddenly walk and then suddenly not
several times a day

or if someone who was blind
would cope if she could suddenly see and then suddenly not
several times a day

or ....

this has to be a unique aspect of parkinsons's
as compared to other 'disabilities', no?

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
come visit my website "a new voice" at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/