Hi all,

        First off let me say that I am not trying to flame anybody, it
     is not my intent to make anybody mad or hurt  anyone's  feelings,
     and  I  am not writing this note to boost my own ego or to try to
     punch holes in the egos of others.  It just seemed a bit odd that

        I  was reading through the digest and came upon three separate
     notes about copyright issues  regarding  the  posting  of  entire
     chapters  of  a book (and as a published author as well, I happen
     to agree with).  And, it just seemed a bit odd that each  of  the
     three  separate  posts quoted the entire text of one of the chap-
     ters that were being complained about in their reply.

        What is odd is that the copyrighted text that was  under  dis-
     cussion  had  now been posted a total of four times.  I might hu-
     morously ask if there is a copyright law about copying a copy  of
     a violated work in an e-mail reply.  Or, would the thought be too
     recursive?

        Anyway, this brings up one of my smaller  e-mail  pet  peeves.
     It is a fairly common form of Internet courtesy -- or 'Netiquette
     -- to only include the *portion* of the text of the  e-mail  that
     you  are  replying  to in your reply -- not the *entire* message.
     Only include that text which helps someone understand the context
     of your reply.

        I know that  it is easier to press "Reply," add some text, and
     press "Send."  But, consider the fact that everyone  on-list  has
     seen  the  original  message at least once.  Do, they need to see
     the entire text of it again?  And, people (like me :-) )  on  the
     digest  don't have the option of deleting a message after we read
     the reply.  We get the whole thing with dozens of other,  similar
     messages  surrounding it.  And, when it starts becoming quotes of
     quotes of quotes of quotes, it gets a little annoying.

        For most folks, this is a simple mouse operation: point to the
     text  you don't need, press mouse button one, hold and drag until
     the text you don't want to include is highlighted, and then press
     the  backspace  or delete key.  Or, if you don't want the text of
     the original message in your reply at all, it's a very simple Op-
     tion/Preference change in most mailers.

        There  is  already a list-contingent who is trying (slowly but
     surely) to get list-members to post in plain text -- no MIME  at-
     tachments,  no  included HTML -- and they are being somewhat suc-
     cessful.  If we could just add this one little thing, in my opin-
     ion, everybody's list experience would be a little bit better.

        Thank  you  for  taking the time to let me invade your mailbox
     with my opinion.  We now take you back to your  regularly  sched-
     uled Parkinson's chat.

Bill--
  ...who heard a wise man say "Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn."
.___. William A. ....._..._ .......7177 Heritage Drive (42?) - (42?) ----+
..... http://w3.one.net/~wap/ .... [log in to unmask] .......+- /--m-m- /--m-m--+