At 09:21 AM 2000/05/09 -0400, KEN CLEMENTS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>To PIEN Participants:-
>I came across a recent article on HPSTN which intrigued me . This new
>surgical treatment for PD is reported to be pioneered by a Dr. Alim
>Benabid in France and is now being studied  somewhere in Canada.
>I searched the Parkinson's Archives for more information but came up
>blank.
>Does anyone have any other leads, more details, experiences  ???
>Cheers, Ken Clements  <[log in to unmask]>

hi ken

this may be new in some parts
but it's well known in europe

i'm surprised you didn't find anything in the archives...

here are some references from PubMed:
"http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/"

1. Neurol Res 2000 Apr;22(3):237-46
Future prospects of brain stimulation.
PMID: 10769816, UI: 20232649

2. Arch Neurol 2000 Apr;57(4):461-5
Subthalamic stimulation in Parkinson disease:
a multidisciplinary approach.
PMID: 10768618, UI: 20229105

3. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2000 May;68(5):595-600
Axial parkinsonian symptoms can be improved:
the role of levodopa and bilateral subthalamic stimulation.
PMID: 10766889, UI: 20229918

4. J Neurosurg 2000 Apr;92(4):615-25
Bilateral subthalamic stimulation for Parkinson's disease
by using three-dimensional stereotactic magnetic resonance imaging
and electrophysiological guidance.
PMID: 10761650, UI: 20222287

5. Neurology 1999 Jul 13;53(1):85-90
Chronic subthalamic nucleus stimulation reduces
medication requirements in Parkinson's disease.
PMID: 10408541, UI: 99335026

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 / PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada
come visit my website "a new voice" at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/