Hello,

On 4 May 00, at 8:01, (I'm a little behind) Judith Richards posted:

> WESTPORT, May 4, 2000 (Reuters Health) - Even if their symptoms
> are treated successfully with levodopa, patients with Parkinson's
> disease have a shorter life span compared with the general
> population, Italian researchers report in the April issue of the
> Archives of Neurology.
>
> Dr. Giovanni Savettieri, of the University of Palermo, and
> colleagues identified cases and controls by conducting a
> door-to-door survey in three Sicilian cities. They compared the
> survival of 59 Parkinson's disease patients with that of 118
> controls. In addition, the researchers compared the causes of death
> for each group.
> Dr. Savettieri and colleagues found that the primary cause of death for
> both groups was cardiovascular disease. However, "pneumonia was the
> cause of death significantly associated with Parkinson's disease."

I think that the risk of pneumonia to us PWPs has not been
sufficiently emphasized.  I searched Medline for references to PD
and pneumonia and found abstracts (see below) of several studies
of PWP groups in the US, Japan and Australia in which pneumonia
was the number 1 cause of death.  Among non-PWPs in the US,
pneumonia is the 5th leading cause of death for people 65 and
over.

The reason for the high risk of fatal pneumonia to PWPs is that
some of the precipitating conditions, such as aspiration (taking
food or fluid down the windpipe) and immobility, are much more
frequent among older people with advanced PD.  PWPs also tend
to be shallow breathers, which I think is also a contributing factor.

There is now a vaccine for pneumococcal pneumonia, which is the
most common and fatal type of pneumonia, and it's a good idea for
all of us to get a shot.  More information about immunization is
available from:

http://www.nih.gov/nia/health/pubpub/pneum.htm

The PD/pneumonia studies:

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1999 Sep;67(3):300-7.  The sydney
multicentre study of Parkinson's disease: progression and mortality
at 10 years.  Hely MA, Morris JG, Traficante R, Reid WG,
O'Sullivan DJ, Williamson PM.  Medline PMID: 10449550, UI:
99380423.

J Am Geriatr Soc 1999 Aug;47(8):967-72.  Postoperative
complications in Parkinson's disease.  Pepper PV, Goldstein MK.
PMID: 10443858, UI: 99371458.

Eur Neurol 1997;38 Suppl 2:60-3.  Prognosis of Parkinson's disease
in Japan. Tottori University Parkinson's Disease Epidemiology
(TUPDE) Study Group.  Nakashima K, Maeda M, Tabata M,
Adachi Y, Kusumi M, Ohshiro H.  PMID: 9387805, UI: 98046998.

Neurology 1994 Oct;44(10):1865-8.  Parkinson's disease and its
comorbid disorders: an analysis of Michigan mortality data, 1970 to
1990.  Gorell JM, Johnson CC, Rybicki BA.  PMID: 7936238, UI:
95022201.

Phil Tompkins
Amherst, Mass
age 62/dx 1990