On 12 May 2000, at 5:01, Joan Hartman wrote:
> >>While this proved false, I still
> >>continued the therapy for loss of balance for several years off
> >>and on...
>
> Murray....you wrote the above....what was your therapy for balance as that
> is a problem for me at times....Joan Hartman

Hi Joan,
The first therapy I did was to counter sudden unexplained falls
which occurred without warning, usually on level surfaces, usually
when initiating stride forward from a standstill. These falls were due
to me moving forward but my feet staying glued to the spot.

I fell unexpectedly a dozen times a month prior to therapy and was
thought to have MS.  A visit to a neuro and an MRI indicated this was
not the case but left the falls an unexplained event.  The MS therapy
seemed to help so I kept at it.

First I "walked" in slow motion... Pick up 1 foot, hold, move it forward, hold,
put that foot down, hold, transfer weight to equal on both feet, hold, pick
up the rear foot, hold, stride through, etc.  This therapy involved stepping
over lines painted on the concrete. Then I moved to what I call
"step therapy"

The therapy was stepping onto an object and stepping off on the
other side.  The first raised object was a 1" plywood square 12" x 12".
The idea was to get me to consciously pick up my feet, consciously
transfer my weight, and balance in between in a slow motion. The
progression was to bigger "objects" (2" plank; 3" plank; and combinations
up to a 7" step)  Much like today's Reabok Steps but not quite as classy.
When I was stepping and balancing on a 7" step the therapy moved to
stairs.

Then I took ballroom dance lessons.  The theory here was that dance
lessons require balanced weight transfer, offer mild activity, and are
not boring.  I have only fallen a few times in the ten years since I started
dance lessons.  I also was confident enough to resume the field duties
of my job where I still work today. (The company had allowed me to
work in the office as a supervisor for 7 years while I was getting my act
together).

I hope you find something worthwhile in this....  murray

View the Parkinson's Awareness Links at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/index.html