Janet,

I  agree with you regarding clinical depression.  When someone gets
clinically depressed they have already passed the point of pulling
themselves "up by their own bootstraps",  Sinead is confusing being
discouraged with CD  a common but often serious error.  Clinical Depression
is an illness which can be as or more debilitating as PD. It can lead to
suicide or withdrawal of massive proportions with the person suffering with
it having no idea that it is occurring since one's perception is altered by
the illness.

I practiced psychiatry for about 23 years prior to my disability with PD. I
also have been treated for CD and have a number of people in my immediate
family who have had severe depressions.   Sinead,  I think that if  your
cure works for someone then it is unlikely that they have CD but rather they
are dysphoric and blue.

The signs and symptoms of Clinical depression: (Not all need to be present)
1.     Dysphoric (blue) mood
2.    General feeling of pessimism-  glass is half  empty rather than 1/2
full
3  .  Change in appetite especially loss of appetite and weight loss
4.    Sleep disturbance (either too much or too little ) especially earlyAM
awakening**
5.     Low energy **
6.     Tearfulness
7.     Loss of interest in most activities
8.     Decrease in ability to experience anything as pleasurable (e.g. loss
of libido)
9      Low self esteem sometimes the point of suicidal thoughts
10.  Decreased concentration**
11.  Feelings of hopelessness**
12.  Motor agitation or slowing**
13.  Irritability
**may be confused with PD symptoms

As noted before as many as 50% of PD patients may develop clinical
depression and the reason may be related to the loss of dopamine caused by
the PD as well as the situation we find ourselves in.  If you have many of
these symptoms you should be under the care of a mental health professional
who understands PD and ask your neurologist for a referral to such a person.

Charlie
Charles T. Meyer, MD