Martin Taylor wrote:

> I'm new to this scene & am already overwhelmed with the amount of useful
> information plus the added junk.

One peron's junk is another's treasure.

I couldn't resist.
What gets posted here is very diverse, so don't hesitate in using
the delete key, when it gets to be a bit much.

> Has anybody the time to read it?

Maybe if you're retired.
After a while you get familiar with what is treasure or junk.

> I'm 63 , diagnosed about seven years ago. But still running my own small
> architects practice but finding that my pace is getting slower. Fortunately I

What kind of architecture--just curious.
I'll be building several geodesic domes on my land in western Minnesota,
overlooking the Abyss.

> dont have any tremor just stiffness on the right side. THe major problem is
> numbness in my right knee which makes walking difficult & seems to lead to a
> general feeling of lethargy. Has anybody else experienced this symptom? Is
> there any treatment or suggestions?

Best to talk to a neurologist...sounds like your "progression"  is slow?

I didn't have a tremor until I started taking Sinemet, go figure. Rigidity in
my back and left wrist can be painful on occaission...rest and stretching or
next dose of medication helps.

Caution: numbness in knee may or may not be Parkinsonian...get it checked out.

One of our PD support group members just got a knee replacement--he is
almost 80.

> I'm hoping that a research project in which I'm a participant may help.

Sounds good.

> The UNiversity of Westminster in London is conducting research into ways of
> improving the quality of life for PD sufferers. It is    running for about
> 18month & is about halfway thru.
>
> THe trials consist of two groups one having therapeutic massage and the other
> Alexander Technique sessions. with a third control group not having any
> treatments.
>
> I was in the Alexander group. For those of you who dont know about it. AT is
> to do with positive body posture control, how to sit, walk, stand, bend and
> even how to get out of bed without effort. Its effective & gentle. It has
> made me much more aware of my body & how I misuse it. THe final results
> should be published in about 18 months.
>
> Finally has anyone any experience of adjustable beds?  THe ones where the
> mattress alters its contours. I have looked at many different types but am
> still unsure which is the best for PD condition. Anyone have any advice?
>
> Martin Taylor

Best of luck.

--
                    Ray Strand
     mailto:[log in to unmask]

...on the edge of the prairie abyss ......................