janet paterson wrote:

> >Hi Janet ,
> >It is not schizophrenia that has an abrupt change of mood ?
> >How about people that have double personality ? Could these
> >have some connection  with the "on-off" condition someway
> >since they occur also in the brain ?
>
> hi joao
> i don't know much at all about schizophrenia other than
> that it is connected to 'too much dopamine' as opposed to 'too little'
> [hey! maybe we could work some deals...!]
> double or multiple personality syndrome i believe
> can manifest in extremely abrupt changes in 'personae'
> but i think that those changes are triggered by outside circumstances
> as they appear to affect the psychology or safety of the personae involved
>
> imagining how someone in christopher reeve's condition
> would cope if he could suddenly walk and then suddenly not
> several times a day

Well , in his case the injury is not in the brain but along the spine's nerves
severed.

> or if someone who was blind
> would cope if she could suddenly see and then suddenly not
> several times a day

Here also it has to consider if the phenomena has to do with the brain or the
optical system .
What I am trying to point is that this switch on-off  has to occur in the brain
system .

> this has to be a unique aspect of parkinsons's
> as compared to other 'disabilities', no?

Perhaps in some other ones that in some way have the deficient in the brain
system in the cause of the disability. Another example of on-off that occurs to
me now would be epilepsy .

Cheers ,