I am 49 and was diagnosed three months ago after seven years of symptoms. I,
understandably, need a fast info infusion. In particular I need some help
planning my financial future. I am self employed in a physically demanding
outdoor profession (land surveying) and am already running into problems
dealing with temperature extremes as well as rough terrain. The most
worrisome thing, though, is that my ability to drive is becoming
compromised. Since I live and practice in a rural area this is a big
problem.

I have disability insurance that pays if I can't meet my professional duties
but to make ends meet I would also need SSDI which has a higher qualifying
threshold. I've already figured out that this is different for each
individual but wondered if anyone has had experience with SSDI. In
particular, if it's patently obvious that you shouldn't be on the road and,
therefore, can't get to a job are you "unemployable"? Thanks.