>  On Sinemet  Cr for about 2 yrs
> ,starting to hear that they save the sinemet for later on in the Parkinson,
> Because it work so good . I'am putting on weight like crazy ,and I don't know
> why . Eating is less cut a lot things , and i still don't know what to do ?
> Any  one help.
> Audrey C
> >From CT

Dear Audrey,
Some people with PD gain weight, and the cause is not always known.
Sometimes it is due to less activity, thus burning fewer calories. If
this is the case, would it be possible for you to add some kind of
activity, such as walking, to your days? Your idea of eating less may be
helpful; be sure, though, to include plenty of whole grains (like
whole-wheat bread, brown rice, whole-grain crackers), vegetables, and
fruits. These are protective foods. Also, you should ask your physician
for a referral to a registered dietitian who understands PD, to be sure
you're getting enough protein, calcium, and other nutrients. It might be
important to take a multivitamin/mineral supplement.

It's also possible to gain weight due to water retention. This is
"edema." It also can be due to less physical activity, allowing water to
be retained. Your physician can determine whether you have edema.

Other conditions, such as thyroid disorders, can contribute to weight
gain. You should discuss the weight change with your doctor so s/he can
rule out any possible contributing conditions.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy for Parkinson's disease
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: interview and assessment tools for nutrition
professionals"
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson'sdisease," J Nutr
Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/