My mother has had success with getting the little white cotton "rolls" that
the dentist uses when they work on your teeth.  It's something she had to
get used to but she just sticks them in the corner of her mouth and changes
them out every 1/2 hour or so.  She especially likes them for special
occasions, such as weddings, church, etc., where her drooling embarasses her
more than just being at home.  She has only gotten them through her dentist,
300 or so at a time.